Janesville High School Construction Photos 1922-23

In September 2009 the Janesville Performing Arts Center celebrated its 5th anniversary. JPAC is located on Main Street next to our library, in what was the original 'new' Janesville High School, which opened in 1923. J.P. Cullen of Janesville did the original construction. Here's how it appeared then. The auditorium is known for its superior acoustics. Singer Tony Bennett graced the stage for JPAC's grand opening, and marveled at the sound - as did the audience!

The label in the lower right includes "Vanryn & DeGelleke, Architects"

This next photograph is dated April 7, 1922 with
'J.P. Cullen & Son Contr's., Janesville, Wisc.'
written on the right side.

Another view from April 7, 1922, with the sign 'Marquette Cement Furnished on this Job by Fifield Lumber Co.'.

A rear view of the new building, from the other side of Rock River:

The view from the Racine Street bridge.

This new building was the third Janesville High School, from 1923 to 1955, when a new school opened on Randall Avenue. This building became Marshall Junior High. Note: the street is brick in 1923!

--posted by sb